Single strand knots, also known as “fairy knots” are something that can’t be avoided if you’re a naturalista with kinky/coily hair. These knots can be very annoying, but they come with the territory.
WHAT IS A SINGLE STRAND KNOT “SSK” ?:
When a hair strand forms a knot by wrapping around itself or another hair strand.
HOW TO REDUCE SINGLE STRAND KNOTS:
1. Keep your hair in stretched styles so that hair strands don’t have an opportunity to curl up and knot around one another.
2. Avoid doing a lot of wash-and-gos. Air drying your hair while it’s loose is an invitation for single strand knots to form because as the hair dries and shrinks, the hair strands curl up on themselves.
3. In the shower, wash your hair in sections or braids to avoid unnecessary knots and tangles.
4. Sleep with a silk/satin bonnet so that there is not a lot of friction on the hair while you’re asleep.
5. Keep hair moisturized because it’s hard to work with dry, brittle hair. The L.O.C method is a great way to keep your hair healthy and moisturized.
6. After you properly moisturize your hair, leave it alone and protect your ends by wearing protective styles (flat twists, braids, updos)… anything where your ends are not exposed.
7. Get rid of pre-existing single strand knots by cutting them out, getting regular trims and thoroughly detangling your hair (to get rid of shed hair).